[sane-devel] xinetd can't start saned

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:28:31 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:19:22PM +0200, Joerg Napp wrote:
> my xinetd won't start saned. I am using an old AS6E parallel port scanner
> connected to a Linux box, which is used by Windows clients by sanetwain.

Which version of sane do you use?

Just as a side note: If you use a version older than 1.0.11 you must
make sure that noone from an untrusted network can connect to saned by
eikter using a firewall or tcpwrappers. Well, that's agood idea
anyway.

> When I'm running saned -d logged in as root, everything works fine.
> When I tell xinetd to run saned, I get the error message "Error opening
> device. You may need to reset the device" from sanetwain, and (among
> others), the following line is logged in /var/log/messages:
>
>  muumipappa saned[5279]: process_request: (open) device_list[0] == 0

That basically means that no device was detected but you tried to open
a device anyway.

Are the permissions set up correctly? Another reason may be that the
sane backend is searching the as6edriver program in $PATH and that may
not be set (or set differently) by xinetd.

> sanetwain hangs and must be killed using task manager. After this is done,

I guess that's a bug, probably in sane-twain.

Does scanning work on the Linux computer running over localhost
(something like scanimage -d net:localhost:as6e >image.pnm)?

> the message logged is
>
>  muumipappa saned[5279]: decode_handle: cancel: error while decoding
> handle argument (h=0, Success)

That's probably because you stopped the client.

> Any hints how to handle this error and run saned from xinetd?

Check if you can set the PATH from inside xinetd.