[sane-devel] UMAX scanner problems

Richard M. Teitel Rich at teitel.net
Sun Mar 9 15:33:52 GMT 2003

Developers,

First, let me apologize in advance for the length of this message.  I am
trying to solve several problems, which I believe to be related.

I am running Red Hat Linux 8.0 on a 700 MHZ Pentium III using a UMAX
Astra 3400 flatbed scanner connected to the USB port.  Red Hat came with
sane-backends-1.0.8, which includes the sane-plustek.5.gz package (I'm
not sure which release this is).  According to the documentation I've
read, these are the most recent releases and should work with the UMAX
scanner.  Indeed, the scanner is detected using modprobe (thanks to
Henning), and I am able to run the scanner from either the XSANE
front-end (version 0.84) or GIMP, using the Plustek backend.  I have
successfully copied and faxed B&W images.  But all is not well :-(

First, the Preview function does not work.  When I run Preview, the
scanner makes an odd "clicking" noise as it scans and does not produce
an image.  I am able to use the Preview function to set the scan area,
but that's all.

Second, the Lamp Off After Scan function does not work.  I set it for
several different time intervals (from 5 to 30 seconds), but the lamp
never turned off.  It does turn off when I close SANE, after I edited
the Plustek driver to do so.  Also, the front panel "Power Saver" button
does not turn off the lamp (according to the UMAX tech rep, the button
sends a command to the software to turn the lamp off).  I suspect this
problem leads to other problems having to do with overheating of the CCD
sensor, since the quality of the first image is better than succeeding
images.

Third, the quality of color images scanned from photographs is terrible.
I have attached a copy of a color image scanned from a photograph.  The
brightness, contrast and color of the photo are good.  The scanned
images appear to be overexposed and "bloom" badly.  My initial thought
was that the color saturation was way too high.  The problem gets worse
as the scanner heats up (since the lamp doesn't shut off), and I have
been unable to correct the brightness, contrast, or color settings
enough to make the images look good.  I tried adjusting the brightness
and contrast of the scanner using the SANE backend, and the quality
improved some, but not much.  I have not tried scanning from the command
line.

As a final note, I used to run this scanner under Win98SE using
Vistascan and Photodeluxe and everything worked well, so I know the
scanner works correctly.

I would very much appreciate any help you can offer.  I am not a
developer, but have enough computer experience to do some
trouble-shooting and file editing.

Thanks,
Rich Teitel