[sane-devel] Erratic connection of frontends to scanner

Alisdair a.laird at hull24.com
Tue Mar 18 20:51:48 GMT 2003

Thanks for the help given over trying to set up my Snapscan e20.
Someone suggested the root problem was a buggy firmware file - now upgraded.

However, although Xsane/scanimage have been generally communicating fine with the backend
things do not seem to be very predictable.

Right now scanimage returns:
	[snapscan] Cannot open firmware file /usr/local/etc/sane.d/Snape20.bin
	[snapscan] Edit the firmware file in snapscan.conf
	scanimage: open of device snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0 failed: Invalid argument

and Xsane returns:
	Failed to open snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0
	Invalid argument

This happened a few days ago and then suddenly everything was working fine, though I had
done nothing. Now I'm back here again, and I haven't a clue I'm afraid.

Any advice?

Thanks, Alisdair