[sane-devel] Mustek 1200CP apparently skipping lines

Pigeon jah.pigeon at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 02:22:45 GMT 2003

On 2003.03.17 21:42 Eddy De Greef wrote:
> On 2003.03.14 21:25 Pigeon wrote:
> > I have a Mustek 1200CP scanner and the latest versions of sane:
> > [...]
> > It appears that the scanner carriage is advancing two steps when the
> > software thinks it has only advanced one step. Scanning anything
> > larger than half the length of A4 results in the carriage attempting
> > to overrun the end of its travel with unpleasant slipping of gears.
> > All scans come out "squashed" and need to be expanded 2:1 in the
> > vertical direction.
>
> Does it happen at all resolutions?

Yes.

> What you describe looks as if you are using the 1200CP settings on
> a 600CP. I presume that you are sure that it's a 1200CP ?

I suppose it's conceivable that the factory could have put the wrong
badge on it, but apart from that, yes.

> You could try the 600CP setting and see what it gives.

Remarkably enough, it seems to work fine! Thanks very much! Maybe they
did put the wrong badge on it.

> Another thing you could try is to disable fast skipping in your
> mustek_pp.conf, eg.:
>
> scanner Mustek_1200CP 0x378 1200
>   option slow_skip

No, this makes no difference.

> But be careful and limit the height of the scans to at most 1/2 of
> the page. The gear slipping isn't very healthy.

I know :-)

> > Also, the light flashes on and off rapidly during the scan; I am not
> > sure if this is related.
>
> It normally flashes about 1 time per second, but it isn't controlled by
> the driver.

I meant much more rapidly than that. Now it's working, it seems much
steadier, so maybe it was related; maybe it was off for all the
skipped lines.

Many thanks for your most useful reply.

Pigeon