[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner no longer finds scanner

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Thu Mar 20 10:11:43 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 04:46:06PM -0600, Charles Mims wrote:
> I am try  to use a Canon Lide30 scanner(USB) with Linux RH8.0.
> Evidently a rebranded Plustek

Really? I think it just uses the lm983x chip as some Plustek USB
scanners do.

> I then loaded the scanner module and then ran 'sane-find-scanner and it
> reported the scanner at /dev/usb/scanner0.  However when I started Xsane
> it said no scanner device could be found.

Enable Debugging like this:

SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 xsane

Maybe you can find out what's wrong that way.

Which version of sane-backends are you using? Maybe it's just too old.

> Trying to correct this I edited the plustek.conf file-first making a
> backup copy..  I put in the VendorID and the Product ID. However when
> this still resulted in Xsane saying no device could be found I
> reverted to the original plustek.conf.

Which kernel version are you using? With 2.4.12 and later you don't
need to put the ids in plustek.conf as far as I know.

> Things have only become worse. Now when I run 'sane-find-scanner I get
> the following message.
>
> 'scanner.c: open-scanner(0): unable to access minor data'

That's not really an error, but just a too noisy debug message. It
means that sane-find-scanner tried to open /dev/usb/scanner0 (and
scanner1, scanner2, ...) but there was no scanner at this device.

> I get the same message for all 15 usb scanner devices.

That's normal. But at least one device should answer (usually
scanner0). If it doesn't, maybe the scanner module got unloaded somehow?

When you do tests, poewer-cycle your scanner to make sure it's not
confused by earlier tests. You could also comment out everything but
plustek in dll.conf to make sure no other backend interfers.

Even without sane-fins-canner you can find out if your scanner is
detected: do cat /proc/bus/usb/devices. The entries start with the
"T:" lines. Find your scanner. Make sure that it has a "I:" line with
driver=usbscanner. If it's driver=(none), the scanner was not detected
by the scanner driver.