[sane-devel] net/saned problems with EPSON backend

Wed, 14 May 2003 13:34:15 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:19:23AM +0100, Major A wrote:
> I just rebuilt a SANE installation here at work and have a little
> problem with it. This is the setup: two computers (both x86 with
> identical Debian "stable", Linux 2.4.20), one of which has an EPSON
> Perfection 1240 connected and runs saned. With SANE 1.0.4, everything
> worked fine, but now with sane-backends 1.0.11, I get an "invalid
> argument" whenever I try to change the colour correction options (and
> maybe others) with xsane. This only happens, though, from the machine
> that the scanner isn't connected to! The usual options like mode and
> resolution work OK though.
>
> Is it possible that there is a problem in net/saned that only comes to
> light when there is a physical network involved, as opposed to a
> loopback interface?

Yes, that's possible. We had such bugs in saned some years ago. I
think it was the other way round (only localhost buggy), but that
doesn't matter. These were timing issues, i.e. a race condition in
saned. However, for quite a long time such bugs haven't been reported
or when they have been reported they were backend or frontend bugs. I
don't say it's not a saned bug but I'm not too certain.

> I'm using sane-backends-1.0.11 and xsane-0.91 on both machines, all
> built from scratch. I don't think there's anything wrong with the
> installation.

Try to reproduce with different frontends (e.g. scanimage). Does it
really only happen over the net and not with net:localhost:epson? Does
it always happen? After you get the error, can you go on or does saned
crash?

Does it also happen if you start saned in debug mode (disable in
inetd.conf first):

SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255 SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_WIRE=255 saned -d128

Also check if "SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage ..." show any unusual
debug messages.

You could also try sane-backends 1.0.12-pre1. There have been some
changes to saned, but I don't think they are related to your problem.