[sane-devel] Exif informations

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Mon, 19 May 2003 00:13:32 +0200

Georges Roux wrote:
> I use this device:
> device `coolscan2:usb:libusb:001:004' is a Nikon    LS-40 ED
> film scanner
>
> it's a film scanner (USB).
> And I would like to have some informations, about  the date, the
> parameters, the version, the author and all that I have
> to know about the image and more... if you please. May be it's a dream,
> but yes there is a library who can help to do that.
> I use exif command line, to search about somes images, and I think may
> be usefull to retrieve the applied correction.
> I don't understand why a scanner can't do less than my digital camera.

The scanner cannot determine data about the author, when a photo was
taken, or which aperture and shutter speed was used as a 35mm camera
does not store this on the film. A scanner also cannot add the scanning
time to its output. In contrary to digital cameras a scanner has no
internal clock. The authorīs name can even not be added by a digital
camera, as this information is not kjnown to the camera. You can use
tools like exif or gexif to manually add EXIF data items to JPEG files.

Perhaps it would really be a good idea for a scanning frontend to add
EXIF data of at least the image size, color depth, scanner resolution,
scanning time, ... to JPEG images. One could also add a dialog, where
the user can also fill in other fields as authorīs name, camera model
and settings, ...

    Till