[sane-devel] epson 2450(firewire) crashes usb

20 May 2003 11:38:41 +0100

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 02:55, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 19 May 2003 15:20, rob wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've just discovered that scanning crashes the usb system. What I
> > get in syslog is this message:
> >
> >May 19 19:53:03 samantha kernel: uhci.c: a400: host system error,
> > PCI problems?
> >May 19 19:53:03 samantha kernel: uhci.c: a400: host controller
> > halted. very bad
> >
> >Getting any more info is tricky as both my keyboard and mouse are
> > usb.
> >
> >It's probably been a couple of months at least since I last
> > scanned something so it's hard to know when the problem started
> > prior to that it's been working great for at least 6 months.
> >
> >I'm running debian sid. 2.4.20.  libsane 1.0.11. The scanner is
> > the perfection 2450 photo. The crash happens after a couple of
> > minutes of use. It happens with both the uhci and usb-uhci. With
> > uhci the scanner continues to scan fine with usb-uhci it locks
> > the scanner up too. I don't have any other firewire devices to
> > test with.
>
> It might be your motherboard, older via chipsets would do that quite
> regularly, or even totally freeze the machine in mid-scan.

I really hope this isn't the case. The odd thing is that it was working
great for ages (scanned in over 1000 negatives).

Any way I've ordered a pci usb card when it comes I'll try varios
combinations of plugging things in to try and rule out (or confirm) a
hardware problem.