[sane-devel] epson 2450(firewire) crashes usb

khk@khk.net khk@khk.net
Tue, 20 May 2003 07:28:28 -0400 (EDT)

Why did the original message refer to "(firewire)"? Does scanning via
the IEEE-1394 interface screw up your USB devices? This should not happen,
and if it does, it's definitely not Sane's fault. If you have the scanner
connected on both the USB and the FireWire bus, remove one connection.
This is not a supported configuration.

The TPU is not the cause for the problems: It may trigger the problem,
but it's not the root cause. When you scan using the TPU, it takes a lot
longer until the first data is sent from the scanner, therefore, the USB
system runs into a timeout, which it does not seem to recover from. If you
set this timeout value to something ridiculously short (e.g. 1 second), the
same problem will occur even when you scan off the glass.

BTW: The focus position command is ignored by this scanner. Unfortunately
it really is ignored, so I have no way of finding out if the scanner
supports it or not (I'm trying to execute the command, and if I receive
an error message, I know that the scanner does not support it).

Karl Heinz