[sane-devel] Artec 1236USB (Unknown chip!)

Tue, 20 May 2003 23:32:26 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:57:22AM -0500, Theodore Kilgore wrote:
> At this point (apologies for slowness, but it isn't my scanner) my friend
> has run check-usb-scanner on his Artec 1236USB and captured the output to
> a log file. Here is the result which unfortunately seems to me rather
> negative.
>
> Of course, it does actually seem to me that "Device Class 0" and
> "Interface Class 0"  could be obvious lies intended to deceive the
> ignorant,

Device Class 0 just means that the type of device is determined by the
interface, not the device itsself. That's ok and used by
multi-functio-devices and others. Interface class 0 doesn't make much
sense but is used by some scanners.

> so if check-usb-scanner is depending on the device doing an
> accurate self-report about its device class, subclass, and protocol, there
> may be a problem there.

check-usb-scanner searches for a apttern. Usually all chips of one
type follow this pattern. It can't be fooled that easy :-)

> Not all devices report themselves truthfully. For
> an example, go to the Linux Working USB Devices list (at www.qbik.cz?) and
> do a search for Trumpion.  You will find there a pocket MP3 player which
> lies and says its protocol is Control/Bulk (01) instead of Bulk (50).

As there is no "scanner" USB class, the tests are rather specific for
these chipsets. It's not possible to write a test program that
determines if a USB device is a scanner.

> Anyway, here is the output.

Thanks, I'll add it to the information in our lists. I really think
it's the same scanner as the Artec Ultima 2000 with that 0x4001 id.
See the lists for details.

The output of cat /proc/bus/usb/devices or sane-find-scanner -v -v may
also show some more information.