[sane-devel] freebsd usb

Wed, 21 May 2003 16:54:37 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 08:43:15AM -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
> after utterly _failing_ to figure out the government secret as to what
> exactly is the correct syntax for device "libusb:..." in plustek.conf
> (why can't this be documented somewhere?, sane-find-scanner reported
> "libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0" neither that nor any of several pointless
> guesses caused scanimage -L to work)

The syntax of the "device file" is the one that libusb uses plus
"libusb:" at the beginning. It's the one that's printed with
sane-find-scanner. It's operating-system-dependant. For Linux and
FreeBSD  there is some docu in man sane-usb.

It shouldn't be ever necessary to specify libusb:a:b in a config file.
That just doesn't make sense because a and b may vary depending on
when you plug in your scanner and which other devices you have.

libusb devices are autodetected. Well, they should be. I've no idea
what went wrong in your case. If you want to debug that problem,
set SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 and SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255 and run
scanimage -L. There should only be a [usb] line, no device line in
plustek.conf.

> Here's my question:
> whenever I try to run scanimage or xscanimage, it takes a very long time
> before the program actually does anything,

Try to find out if that long time apsses in the plustek backend. Does
it also happen if you comment out verything but "plustek" in
dll.conf? If no, please try to find out which backend causes this
problem. Setting SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 may also help.

> and in the mean time I get a lot of this:
>
> umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT

That's the driver for USB mass storgae support? Do you still have a
"device libusb:..." line in plustek.conf? Maybe that line refers to
on of your other usb devices. Another possibility would be that the
autodetection of the USB devices triggers that timeout for some
reason. A debug log with the above mentioned two variables set may
show the source of the problem.