[sane-devel] sane and scanDoX fujitsu drivers

Brian K. White brian@aljex.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 09:37:29 -0400

Peter Santoro wrote:
> I'm considering on buying a fujitsu scanparter scanner ( 93GX, fi-4220C,
> 15c, or 620c), but I want to be certain that I purchase one that is well
> supported by sane (or perhaps scanDoX).
>
> The folks at scanDoX indicate that fujitsu 15c/620c scanparter scanners
> are supported in sane via sp15c driver:
> http://www.mu-tec.de/scandox/sdx/features_supported-scanners.html
>
> The sane website appears to contain conflicting information:
> ScanPartner 15C: driver is sane-avision, status is untested
> SP15C: driver is sane-sp15c, status is beta
>
> Am I just misreading something here?  Which information is correct?
>

> Thank you for your assistance,
>
> Peter

I can't comment on sane support, but I can say that in general the 620c is
a very good scanner. My company sells an add-on which I wrote for our main
application that basically adds document scanning to any/every screen or
file in the database. several customers have been using the add-on for
over a year now quite heavily. Before we installed the first guy, I looked
at a lot of scanners at a big document imaging convention in NYC (the aiim
show) and settled on the 620c. we continued to recommend that model to
everyone and mostly that's what they always get (one guy who got other
models just got higher-end models in the same family since he needed more
speed and they have been excellent as well), and so I have by now seen
many of these units in heavy, all day every day use, usually at least two
units per site. And they have turned out to be real workhorses. The feeder
happily sucks in the worst crumpled, torn, tissue-thin specimens without
snagging, and in the rare occasion it snags, the access to free the paper
path is the simplest and quickest I've seen. My most idiotic users have
not even had a problem with it.

The one part that they (fujitsu) know will eventually wear out, a rubber
pad that holds back all but the bottom sheet in the feeder input hopper,
they supply you with an extra, and my very first user is just over 2 years
in use now, has still not needed that part.

There is one problem though.
The bulb in the scanner does not shut off as far as I have noticed, so you
should really turn the scanner off at night so as not to waste 1/2 of the
useable hours of life, but, if you don't also turn off your computer, then
most computers have been unable to find the scanner once you turn it off
even after you turn it back on. You have to have the scanner on before the
  computer is turned on. On some sites the scanner is used heavily only
for a couple hours late in the day, this means they have to either leave
the scanner on all the time, burning up 22 hours of bulb for every 2 that
are actually used, or they have to power-cycle their pc just after turning
on the scanner before using it for a couple hours.

by comparison, another guy decided to go with canon 5080's (5080c?) well
they are pretty, and they are snappy, and they can scan in duplex, and
they are waaaay more convenient on the desk, but the driver was quite a
little puzzle and required non-trivial manual adjusting (forcing the
driver to choose the correct one of two possible files at every scan by
deleting the the file that doesn't match your particular model) and the
hardware is less than relable (chokes on imperfect specimens a lot easier,
very easily in fact) less than always true (it tends to grab the sheets
and feed them through at a slight tilt and it gets worse with time, better
with cleaning and scuffing some of the rollers), less than simple as far
as the mechanics and operation of the in & out trays, rollers, paper-path
access, and costs about 4x what the sp620c does.

All in all, a scanner like that is a mild investment, and I thought you'd
appreciate some good hard anecdotal in the field track record. And these
are all trucking companies my customers. The users are reasonably careful
people being clerical/accounting types, but the papers come from truckers,
who do not hand in nice pressed, ironed & starched flat papers :) and the
environments are usually very dusty, being attached to big warehouses and
garages and truck yards. In the end, my ideal goal was to find a good
enough scanner that after I install it, I never get support calls to keep
it going. This has turned out to be the case. The thing is built like a
good old xerox machine or ibm keyboard :)

It is an art form though, trying to put the thing on the desk or close
enough to it that the scsi cable reaches, and the user can reach both the
in & out trays without straining, and still leave them any desk space left
over. :)

--
Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani