[sane-devel] SANE, Darwin, Umax Vista-S6E problems

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:30:31 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:05:13PM -0800, Randolph Fritz wrote:
> The scanner works fine with the demo version of Vuescan, and the Zip
> drive on the SCSI chain also works fine.  When I run xsane and try to do a
> preview, the scanner starts, then stops, and after a pause I get the
> following error pop-up:
>   Failed to start scanner: Unknown SANE status code -1

The umax backend uses fork() to create a reader process in its code.
At least with USB scanners, that makes it impossible to access the
scanner. Maybe it's the same with SCSI scanners?

There is now code for using threads on MacOS X instead (sanei_thread).
But the umax backend has not yet been converted to use that code.

But I'm not sure if that's really the reason for your problem.