[sane-devel] usb Scanner always busy

Gene Heskett gene.heskett@verizon.net
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 06:20:30 -0500

On Saturday 08 November 2003 05:28, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:
>Hi Gene,
>
>could it be, that something is broken by your "dual" kernel
> installation? Did somebody know something 'bout changes in the usb
> interface? Do we need to recompile the libusb stuff before using
> kernel 2.6?

I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of usb stuff has been walked around in
and had its tires kicked between 2.4 and 2.6.  Later!  See below, its
fixed and working.

>It is also very suspicous that after setting the debug stuff you'll
> see nothing.

I now note that if set from the same cli rather than "export"ed to the
env, it actually does work.  That surprised me, but really, after 69
years, nothing should anymore. :)

>Please try again:
>export SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=20
>scanimage -L
>and
>xscanimage
>
>Probably your experiments with the epkowa stuff left some garbage on
> the disk...

Its commented out in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

Now it gets weirder, both of the above lines result in a functioning
scanner!  xscanimage makes me select the plustek driver as usual, and
then it runs the scanner just fine.  xsane, from an icon, always says
the scanner is busy, and its the xsane interface I'm used to.  More
eye candy I guess.

Hmmm, I just found, dated aug 1 2003, an /etc/sane.d directory, with a
dll.conf in it.  I had deleted that months ago!  So
/usr/src/xsane-0.90 just got its config.cache rm'd, and its in the
rebuild process right now after issueing a ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local.

And that was it, its now working normally, so one more problem is
solved.  Many Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (again).

Damn, I find it harder and harder to see the tree for all that forest
as the years pile up.  I don't recommend getting old, it gets
embarrasing at times. :(

Now, if I could get the latest epkowa driver to compile & work, it in
older versions, doesn't have that image artifact the plustek driver
shows, and which I've sent smallish clips of on a couple of
occasions.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M