[sane-devel] SANE OS X 10.3 Install Problems

Randolph Fritz randolph@panix.com
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:52:38 -0800

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:02:22AM -0000, Phil Barrett wrote:
> > Well, I can't help because I don't have any MacOS X experience but
> > maybe one of the OS X hackers can. So I quote everything and send it
> > to sane-devel. Please reply to sane-devel, not to me personally.
> >
> > > -DV_MAJOR=1 -DV_MINOR=0 -D_REENTRANT -g -O2 -W -Wall sanei_scsi.c
> > > sanei_scsi.c:210:35: IOKit/cdb/IOSCSILib.h: No such file or directory
>
> Simple enough: this header is an old API, which is not included in OS X 10.3
> (Panther).
>
> The code for the new API is in sanei_scsi.c already, so the solution is just
> to define OSX_ONLY_10_2_API somewhere.

Would that this was that simple!  The new Mac OS X "SCSI Architecture
Model" is misnamed; it is a grand unified transport layer, covering
"SCSI, USB (Storage), FireWire SBP2 and ATAPI".  So this may be the
story for a lot of different scanners in 10.3 and later versions of Mac
OS.  Or maybe not, depending on how many manufacturers adopt it.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a
sanei_osx_scsi_architecture_family file?

Randolph