[sane-devel] Epson gt-8000 transparency experiment

Bart Buitinga bartbuitinga@xs4all.nl
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:20:44 +0100

Hello again,

It's going to be some retro demonstration if this goes to work. Thanks
for all your replies.

After some fiddling with the configuration files I found the number that
defines "Blindfarbe" (shines just one of the three monochrome tubes in
the gt-8000's sensor) for BW modes can be set 0 for none or 1, 2, 3 for
R, G, an B. Unfortunately -1 an 4 both default to none. If there's no
known way to override the hardware detection I think I'll just add a
switch in the internal power cable to the tubes to get them off, also
because the autodetection of accessories, as it differs between the
document feeder and the TPU is beyond just shortcircuiting and of course
I wouldn't want to risk this splendid device that the previous owner
must have thrown away after obtaining a new pc with ECP or similar.

I've been trying some combinations without a projection screen, but I
think the sensor would demand a strictly parallel bundle for that to
work. (That is of course possible, but would take a lens the size of the
print.)
Just hoovering the enlarger over the scanner only results in a light
spot at the position of the enlargers lens

Considering the amount of light: I think a projector would be overdone
if theres no need to overpower the scanner tube or false light. These
old enlargers have relatively strong lamps because in the pre-multigrade
days high grade photo paper was not too sensitive.
But if the Opemus lets down, I also have a Krokus 3 with a condensor
extension that throws all the 100 watt light through a 35 mm window
instead of its usual 6x9 cm, about 3 times more powerful
(And also: It would then help to scan on less than a4 format... Also it
has the same lens entrance as my Praktica, so it may be easy to use it
with a large diameter telelens to get an up to 60 mm wide parallel
bundle... Well allright, I know what I'll do this afternoon)

But if someone around actually has a TPU, I would be very interested
what kind of projection (screen or parallel) it uses.

Bart Buitinga