[sane-devel] Epson gt-8000 transparency experiment

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:02:55 -0500

On Nov 29, 2003, at 7:58 AM, Bart Buitinga wrote:

> Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
>
> > You are very brave :-)
>
> not to mention accurate, smart and very very funny...

This was implied :-)

> But you're sure a very helpful group yourselves. It makes me think of
> the recently GNUified Arachne project, the originally Czech webbrowser
> for DOS that is conquering one 80386 after another (see
> http://home.hetnet.nl/~ba8tian/arachne/arachne.htm )

I used this on a 16MHZ 386SX a long time ago.

> > I would not short two contacts without a resistor. For the first
> > attempt  I would use something like 1K. I doubt that any of the 24V
> >  lines are  involved in sensing the TPU.  If  the 1K resistor does
> > not give you any  result, go down to 0.5K.
>

> I'm not touching the 24V again; in fact I blocked the pins with
> matches.
> What I was thinking of is after lowering all 5V lines 1 by 1, to do the
> same with pairs. But first I'd like to know how to interprete the
> results:
>
> If nothing changes (4 5 6 14 15), the line may belong to an option
> accessory, but just isn't the one used for detection.
>
> If all goes black I think I hit the 5V line Byron describes as P/S
> output and the power supply blocks for safety reasons, similarly as
> with the 24V pins. This happens on pin 3
>
> If an Error condition occurs (and from the lengthy PDF manual on the
> Epson GT series that I found yesterday (now also available at
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~labrat/downloads/esc_i.pdf . 268 Pages give
> basics on scanning, detailed specs on all communication with the
> computer through serial, parallel and SCSI, appendix describes all
> scanner types separately, but nothing about the feature connector
> pinout of the gt-800 AKA ES-800c): blinking "error" + "ready" LEDS
> mean it's critical and the scanner blocks), it could be that the
> scanner misses an additional property of an option (Possibly if it
> senses a TPU, it wants to initialise it by flashing the lamp instead
> of calibrating the sensor with the tubes as during flatbed init. The
> error lights only flash after the first movement of the carriage,
> which supposedly checks wether the safety screw is loose, has ended,
> so I think that stretches this theory. Assuming that operating the
> lamp is about the only action a TPU can perform, I guess it would use
> at least 5 lines: 24V power, 5V power for the switch, one of the other
> 5V for option detection, one of the defaultly lowered lines for
> detecting wether TPU light is on/off and ground. But some of these may
> of course be shared with the ADF) Error occurs on pins 7 and 8.

The ADF needs more lines, because there is more that can go wrong in
the paper path, so you also have another input pin, but it may also use
more output pins for the motor.
If your software reports the ADF, you know that you are close.

> > How do you test if the TPU is recognized? The Sane backend will
> > report  the TPU as valid scan source if it's found, so you should
> > be able to  just run a frontend and see if you can select the TPU.
>
> I'd be most happy to test SANE on my linux install, but can it be done
> with RedHat 5.2 or would you recommend another Linux for my AMD
> K5/166MHz, 48Mb, 2x500Mb?

Try to compile it. You don't need a fancy frontend: scanimage will do.
It will report all valid options. ADF or TPU are only reported as valid
options if they are actually found.

> (Knoppix also boots, but KDE, not to mention OpenOffice, tends to
> outwait me) Apart from that: Does SANE handle this parallel connected
> semi dinosaur right away or should I first get a SCSI controller?
> I think the win95 TWAIN32 driver I use has about all options for the
> scanner (ESC command level B4, the driver also supports B5 scanners
> and the .hlp describes the TPU and ADF options), and as it is called
> from some imaging program it shows a "source" option that is dimmed as
> long as there's no option detected.

This will also work.

> My procedure is as follows:close TWAIN32, Scanner off, paperclip
> placed, scanner on, if alive load TWAIN32.dll, look at source button,
> scan (or not).
> Both the hardware manual and the drivers .hlp explicitly mention the
> unavailability of the option features with no option installed. The
> scanner will respond NAK on a ESC E command and the driver GUI indeed
> dimms the source option button). There'll be some screenshots at
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~labrat/downloads soon.
>
> I'll be looking for some resistors...

You probably don't have the neighborhood Radio Shacks in Holland...

Good luck,

Karl Heinz