[sane-devel] Digital ICE support

Nils Philippsen nils@tiptoe.de
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:24:41 +0100

--=-PQ/z2tOC6teXwW1w5GGe

since some days I've been thinking about implementing routines to
utilize the infrared channel supplied by my Nikon LS-2000 scanner for
automatic defect correction. Is someone already working on this?

My ideas for a first shot on this are (with low IR values ("black")
being high defect probability values):

- Identify single defects (pixel clusters):
  - Count all pixels above a certain probability threshold automatically
    as defects
  - Group adjacent defect pixels into defect clusters
  - Add pixels adjacent to a cluster that are above a second (lower)
    defect probability threshold to the defect cluster
  - Join defect clusters that share pixels added in the previous step
- Repair defects by interpolation between "healthy" pixels. Obviously
this is the trickier part of it all.

Comments or ideas are welcome.

Nils
--=20
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Stra=C3=9Fe 39 / D-71229 Leonberg=20
nils@tiptoe.de / nphilipp@redhat.com / nils@lisas.de
Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?

--=-PQ/z2tOC6teXwW1w5GGe

--=-PQ/z2tOC6teXwW1w5GGe--