[sane-devel] CVS problem: lock file in sane-backends/doc

gerard klaver gerard at gkall.hobby.nl
Fri Nov 14 16:09:56 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 10:33, edg1 at tiscali.be wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am unable to commit changes to the doc/ directory of sane-backends
> because it is locked:
>
> > cvs server: [12:32:40] waiting for anoncvs_sane's lock in
> /cvsroot/sane/sane-backends/doc
> > [repeating every 30 seconds]
>
> Does anyone know how this can be fixed ?
>
> Eddy

part of Email text from Henning some time ago:

Hi developers,

Some topics concerning CVS write access:

* Getting write access to the CVS servers
  The details of getting write access to the CVS server are mentioned
  on our CVS page: http://www.sane-project.org/cvs.html
  Just some more comments:

  * Once you have been added, it will take some time until CVS write
    access actually works.
  * Every developer is also able to modify the bug tracker, i.g. to
    change priorities and assignments of bugs
  * You don't need to be a backend developer to get CVS access. If you
    regularily update documentation or translations that's ok, too.
  * If someone isn't interested in CVS access but wants to handle bugs
    in the bug tracker, we can set up an account also.

* CVS lock files: When you get messages like that:
  "cvs server: [11:38:14] waiting for anoncvs's lock in ..."
  while committing a file to CVS you've found a stale lockfile.
  Well, at least if that lock stays for longer than a few minutes.

  This has happened three or four times in the last few weeks.

  If this happens, use ssh to log into your account at alioth (ssh
  login at sane.alioth.debian.org),
  cd /var/lib/gforge/chroot/cvsroot/sane/
  cd sane-backends (or sane-frontends or wherever)
  cd to the directory where the lock is located
  ls -l "#cvs*"
  If that lock is from anoncvs and older than some minutes, remove
  (rm) it. If it's from a developer, ask him what he is doing
  currently. If he isn't using CVS currently, remove the lock also.

I have just removed the anoncvs lock, is was dated from 3 november?