[sane-devel] (No Subject)

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:01:05 +0200

Hi,

In addition to Abel's comments:

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:39:54PM -0700, Barton Bosch wrote:
> In trying to track down the location of the scsi
> device I looked in dmesg and found:
>
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
>   Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-RW 48X24       Rev: C.FZ
>   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

That's the SCSI simulation for IDE cd writers. At least in older Linux
versions it was known to make trouble with real SCSI devices. Try to
turn it off: rmmod idescsi (I think that's the name).

> scsi1: <fdomain> No BIOS; using scsi id 7
> scsi1: <fdomain> TMC-36C70 (PCI bus) chip at 0x1030 irq 9
>
> scsi1 : Future Domain 16-bit SCSI Driver Version 5.50
>   Vendor: UMAX      Model: Vista-S6E         Rev: V1.6
>   Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> scsi : 1 host left.

I'd expect "2 hosts left" because the first one is idescsi and the
second one the future domain host adapter?

> Checking further, I found that /dev/scanner was a link to /dev/sgb,
> and /dev/sgb was a link to /sg1 (not /dev/sg1).

Are you sure? It could be a link to "sg1" (without the "/"). That
means "the file sg1 in the same directory as the link itsself".

> I tried changing
> /dev/sgb into a symlink to /dev/sg1, but xsane still pops up a dialog
> box with "xsane: no devices available".

SANE should find the device even if /dev/scanner isn't there at all.

> All the other /dev/sg* files had permissions of 660 but my original
> /dev/sg1 had permissions of 600, which I changed to 660.

That's ok. As root, sane-find-scanner should find the scanner despite
the wrong permissions.

> So at this point I am pretty stumped as to how to get sane/xsane to
> recognize my scanner.  Does anybody have any solutions?  Any pointers
> to relevant documentationt that I might have missed?

Show us the output of "cat /proc/scsi/scsi".