[sane-devel] Re: Hp 5370C and Sane

René Rebe rene@rocklinux-consulting.de
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:36:47 +0200

Hi Hassan,

Hassan Abdin wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 16:45 +0200, René Rebe wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Hassan Abdin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello there,
>>> I am trying to connect my HP Scanjet 5370C scanner to Linux. I have FC3
>>> test1. I am running a custom non-rpm kernel version 2.6.7. I have
>>> sane-backends-1.0.14, sane-frontends-1.0.12. I am trying to connect the
>>> scanner via USB. sane-find-scanner detects the scanner and finds its
>>> parameters. Xsane, however, can't find the attached scanner. I don't
>>> know whether or sane-backends include the hp patch that was mentioned on
>>> the web site. I have included the avision.conf as an attachment. I need
>>> help to see what could possibly make my scanner work on Linux. I hope I
>>> included all necessary information.
>>

>>What is the output of sane-find-scanner?
>>
> The output of sane-find-scanner is the following:
>
> " # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
> sure that
>   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x0df7, product=0x0620) at libusb:003:003
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett Packard], product=0x0701
> [Hewlett Packard ScanJet 5300C/5370C ]) at libusb:001:004
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
>   # can't be detected by this program."
>
>>The best way to check what the SANE "subsystem" detects, is to run:
>>
>>scanimage -L
>>
> The output showed that the scanner was DETECTED, yes yes yes.
>
>>Does it make a difference if you run int as root?
>>

> I have run the previous two commands (sane-find-scanner & scanimage -L)
> as root. I didn't try them as ordinary user.
>
>>Things to check:
>>
>>  - hpusbscsi kernel module _NOT_ loaded - it is obsolete and unstable
>>
> I guess when I removed this module that the scanner got detected by
> scanimage -L. Thanks for the tip. I have read this on the web page. I
> thought that module was not in the way. I am using hotplug with udev. I
> think it is hotplug is the causative for inserting hpusbscsi module
> which caused the scanner not to be detected.
>
>>  - none mounted to /proc/bus/usb type usbfs
>>
>>> Many thanks for your kind reading of my messages.
>>
>>No problem - thanks for choosing Open Source software ;-)
>>
> Strange enough that Xsane is working only with root. Permissions thing I
> guess. /var/log/messages tells me the device file is /dev/sg0. When I
> try to change mod for that file, I can't find it. Do you have a clue?

/dev/sg0 is for hpusbscsi - wich you should _not_ use.

The device for direct USB access from user-space (e.g. via libusb) is
one in /proc/bus/usb/00?/*. (And yes, I find /proc for device files
annoying, too - it was not my choice ...)

Plse consult your hotplug / udev system how-to or manual page how to set
the permissions correctly for the dynamically allocated device node ;-)
There are just to many variants out there ... .-(

PS: I CC'ed the sane-devel list so other are able to google for the
information later ... ;-)

Have fun,
   René Rebe