[sane-devel] Plustek Scanfx /w Proprietary ISA card

Fred Stevens 2skaters@cannon.net
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:29:11 -0600

Hello,

I have a Scanfx with an ISA adapter card.  The card is mapped to a
jumper selectable range of addresses (0x220,230,260,270,320,330,360,370)
and IRQ settings(3,4,5,10,11,12).  After looking at the card, I
determined that it is similar to a parallel port with the exception that
the data bus is bi-directional.  There are only a handful of LSttl chips
(74LS245, 74LS244, 74LS86, 74LS74, 74LS174 and a 16?? pal) and one PAL
on the board so it can't be doing too much.  The address range of the
card is four bytes (I think) and they are mirrored in the next four
bytes since address line A2 isn't connected on the card edge.  The A0
and A1 lines are connected, as well as A3 through A9.  Nothing above
that along with  ~iow and ~ior only being used from the ISA bus.  IRQs
3,4,5,10,11,12 are connected and are jumper selectable.  The connector
attached to the cardis a high density 25 pin Dsub style.  In the scanner
unit the LSI thatis connected to the interface (normal 25 Dsub on the
scanner side) is a Plustek 92001.  I am going to do some more hardware
debugging to see what the card does when I have some time.

Is this information useful to anyone?  The scanner is a paperweight to
me unless I can use it under Linux since I stay away from that other
operating system for intel platforms.  Even so, the drivers available
for Win95/98 aren't very good.  My dad gave me the unit when he was done
using it under Win98 for that reason.  It's rather well made though and
could be useful attached to my print server.

Thanks,

Fred