[sane-devel] hp5400 versus sane

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches@verizon.net
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:01:18 -0800

> From: Jim Jensen <jwjensen@inwi.net>
> Date: 31 Jan 2004 18:28:52 -0800
>
> Greetings!
>
> I'm trying to get a hp5470c usb scanner working under kernel 2.6.1.
> I've installed sane-backends-1.0.11, and hp5400 (apparently)
> successfully.
>
> sane-find-scanner returns this output:
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
> sure that
>   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x1105 [HP
> Scanjet 5400C Series]) at libusb:001:003
>   # A USB device was detected. This program can't be sure if it's really
>   # a scanner. If it is your scanner, it may or may not be supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>   # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
> can't be
>   # detected by this program.
>
> But scanimage -L returns this output:
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

> Any suggestions?

This sounds suspiciously like bugzilla.redhat.com report
#110174.  If you're running RHL 8.0 or RHL 9, there is an
experimental package that appears to solve the problem.  At
least for Red Hat Linux, the problem was triggered by a
change to the library search strategy in glibc, but the real
"culprit" is claimed to be sane-backends.

Good luck.

Robert Riches
spamtrap42@verizon.net