[sane-devel] Sane/Xsane and high resolution color negative film scans

Dr. Georg N.Nyman gnnyman@swissonline.ch
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:43:08 +0100

Hello to everyone,
I am a semiprofessional photographer and consultant and would like to
get a better understanding of the Sane/Xsane capabilities for my area of
interest.
This would mean to scan color negs and color slides ( 4x5" ) with
Sane/Xsane. Fortunatelly, one of my scanners is on the list of supported
hardware ( Epson 3200 Photo ), two are not ( Canon 9900 F and Sony
UY-S90 ).
I have a few questions and maybe one of you experts can help:
1. Scanning negatives - in the Windows world, during the scan and its
preview, the neg is inverted properly to judge the exposure and to make
initial color and exposure corrections. I did sofar not find this option
with Kooka, and with Xsane only rather imperfect.
2. Once a preview scan of the whole scanable area was made, it would be
fine to make a more detailed preview scan of the selected image area to
properly determine the area to be scanned...
3. Scanning large format transparent items means that the size
adjustments of the scan need to show lower % values than currently
available - 35% is not small enough. I would need to reduce it to values
down to 10% and even sometimes a bit less.

What could I offer you - I would be happy to evaluate new features and
their performance....I am not a Linux expert but get along quite well -
sometimes needing some guidance with installation of upgrades and
updates.
Thanks and kind regards
Georg Nyman

http://www.gnyman.com