[sane-devel] Sane/Xsane and high resolution color negative film scans

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan@buzzard.me.uk
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:04:59 +0000

gnnyman@swissonline.ch said:
> I am a semiprofessional photographer and consultant and would like to
> get a better understanding of the Sane/Xsane capabilities for my area
> of interest.  This would mean to scan color negs and color slides (
> 4x5" ) with Sane/Xsane. Fortunatelly, one of my scanners is on the
> list of supported hardware ( Epson 3200 Photo ), two are not ( Canon
> 9900 F and Sony UY-S90 ). I have a few questions and maybe one of you
> experts can help: 1. Scanning negatives - in the Windows world, during
> the scan and its preview, the neg is inverted properly to judge the
> exposure and to make initial color and exposure corrections. I did
> sofar not find this option with Kooka, and with Xsane only rather
> imperfect. 2. Once a preview scan of the whole scanable area was made,
> it would be fine to make a more detailed preview scan of the selected
> image area to properly determine the area to be scanned... 3. Scanning
> large format transparent items means that the size adjustments of the
> scan need to show lower % values than currently available - 35% is not
> small enough. I would need to reduce it to values down to 10% and even
> sometimes a bit less.

You might want to consider looking at Vuescan. It is not free, but it
is targeted at this sort of scanning and will do the sort of colour
correction of negatives that you are after, with results that surpass
anything that can easily be achieved using Sane.

    http://www.hamrick.com/

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195