[sane-devel] how should you determine a good gamma correction to use through the backend?

Christopher Marshall christopherlmarshall@yahoo.com
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:01:52 -0800 (PST)

--- Karl Heinz Kremer <khk@khk.net> wrote:

> Profiling the scanner will not solve the gamma correction problem:
> Before you profile your scanner you need to pick a gamma value. After
> that, you always have to select the same gamma value whenever you scan.
> Otherwise your profile will not be able to correct your colors. This
> means that the better your scans are before you apply a profile
> (because you selected a good gamma value), the better the final
> corrected scans will be.
>
> Karl Heinz

Karl:

Well, I suppose I was thinking of doing a scan with a correction of 0 (the default I believe),
calculating a value of k, and using that value in further scans.

Are you suggesting a iterative approach, where you start out uncorrected (k=0), calculate k1, scan
with k1, calculate k2, then scan with k2, and so on to a point of diminishing returns?

Chris Marshall