[sane-devel] gamma correction procedure

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:19:31 +0100

Christopher Marshall schrieb:
> All:
>
> I think I've basically answered my own question,"How should you attempt to deduce a correct gamma
> correction
> value for your scanner with sane?"
>
> The procedure is this:
>  - open a graphics program like the gimp and make some blocks of solid color (gray scale)
>  - I suggest hitting the following (R,G,B) values
>    (64,64,64)
>    (128,128,128)
>    (192,192,192)
> - print the page
> - scan it
> - open the scan with a photoshop-like program like the Gimp
> - measure the values from the corresponding blocks in the image.

Christopher,

this way, you measure (and correct to some extent) the colour deviations
of the *entire chain* image colour values -> printed colour -> scanned
colour. But both '->', i.e. each "transformation" of the colours into a
new "representation", introduces new errors. Especially, you must expect
serious deviations by the print process. This does not help if you want
to have "true colours" for a scan of a photo, since the photo has not
been produced by the printer.

I'd recommend to follow Gerard's recommendation to use IT8 targets for
colour correction. With an IT8 target, you have a sort of a "calibrated
image"; which you can scan, and using programs from lcms or gcms, you
can "calibrate" your scanner, i.e. create an ICC profile for it. ICC
profiles provide a far better way to get something similar to "true
colours" than the comparatively simple gamma correction.

Abel