[sane-devel] Re: FreeBSD 5.1R, SANE, Canon 1240U scanner

Doug Carter douglcarter@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:31:34 -0600

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:

>>the 1240 is supported by the backend, but there are several issues with
>>FreeBSD...

>The only "issue" I could find was that you had to disable the "uscanner"
>kernel module and use libusb instead.  This was FreeBSD 5.1.

>>There are some reports, that using the libusb does not work
>>correctly, there's...
>>http://gja.space4me.com/things/CanoScan_LiDE20_FreeBSD.html

It appeard to me that the kernal patch for the LiDE20 added support to
uscanner.  I think my problem is different since I know my Canon 1240U is
NOT supported by uscanner but is purported to be with plustek.

Regarding uscanner, I'm running 5.1R and made sure it was NOT loaded before
I tested.

I interpert the test results in my earlier post to imply: that uscanner.o is
not loaded nor involved and plustek finds an unknown named scanner with the
expected vendor-ID and prod-ID (0x04a9 and 0x220e) at
libsub:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0 but then does not belive it to be using the
expected chip set.

I'm guessing that uscanner is not and should not be involved and that
plustek should recognize the Canon 1240U but has a bug.

I hunted around for plustek* to see if I could tell anything from the source
but I havn't found it.

Plan your next US getaway to one of the super destinations here.
http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx