[sane-devel] Re: [sane-devel] Boeder SmartScan Slim Edition on SuSE

Jim George jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:20:18 -0000 (GMT)

Hi Eddy,

<SNIP>

> AFAIK, the .la files are only used by libtool when
> compiling/linking against a library. They don't interfere
> during normal operation.
>
> Do you have a /proc/bus/usb entry, ie. is the usb file system
> mounted? (mount | grep usb)
> You may have to load some usb modules first. I'm not sure how
> it works on SuSE, but on RH you can do it like this (as root):
>
>      modprobe usbcore
>      mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/
>      modprobe usb-uhci

<SNIP>

As you can see usb is mounted and the modules loaded (including scanner).

tassi:/usr/lib/sane # mount | grep usb
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
tassi:/usr/lib/sane # lsmod | grep usb
usbserial              18492   0  (autoclean) (unused)
usb-uhci               21612   0  (unused)
usbcore                56768   1  [scanner usbserial snd usb-uhci]

I'm just in the process of downloading CyGWin on my companies Laptop to
see if I can compile sane for linux as an rpmbuild to get usb that way.
Seems tortuous but with the lack of space on my server, there aren't many
more options open to me.

Cheers,

Jim