[sane-devel] support for backend not preloaded

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:41:56 +0900

Peter Mark Guevarra <pmsguevarra@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm not sure if this question has been asked before.=C2=A0 How do you mak=
e a
> backend work in SANE which is not 'preloadable' (not included in
> distribution)? I mean is it possible to compile a backend and make it
> work=C2=A0after the installation of the SANE package?
>
> Has anybody done this before?

Not sure I really understand what you are asking, but AFAIK you just
plonk the backend in the directory where all the other backends are
and add a line in your dll.conf.  Typical location of the backends in
/usr/lib/sane (or /usr/local/lib/sane) and the configuration file
usually lives in /etc/sane.d (or /usr/local/etc/sane.d).

FYI, this is what "Image Scan! for Linux" does with its epkowa backend
and it work without any problems.  Compilation of the backend closely
follows the Makefile.in in the sane-backends package's backend
directory.

Hope this helps,
--=20
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2
	   Free Software Foundation Associate Member #1962