[sane-devel] wrong permissions for usb scanner at boot time

gerard klaver gerard@gkall.hobby.nl
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:26:13 -0100

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 14:39, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
> My AGFA Snapscan 1212_U has been working properly for years, using the
> scanner module in the kernel (now Redhat 9).
> On the occasion of a kernel upgrade to 2.6.x I wanted to shift from the
> kernel module to libusb.
>
> The story so far:
> - got me recent rpms of libusb, sane, hotplug ...
> - added a "scanner" line for the Snapscan with the appropriate idVendor
> and idProduct to /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap
> - put a script called "scanner" into /etc/hotplug/usb which sets the
> permissions of the usb device to world read/write:
> 	if [ "$ACTION" = "add" -a "$TYPE" = "usb" ]; then
> 	  chmod 0666 "$DEVICE"
> 	fi
>
> All is working as expected if I plug in the scanner after the system is
> running, and I can access the scanner as a normal user then.
> BUT: permissions aren't set at system startup, even with the scanner
> plugged in, I always have to dis- and reconnect the usb cable to get the
> scanner to work.
>
> I feel that I am missing something very obvious, so any pointers would
> be welcome.
> Klaus
Two pointers:
Did you modify /etc/fstab adding none /sys/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
(al least at debian 2.6.3 kernel with libusb)

did you check that there is no scanner.ko module present
--
m.vr.gr.