[sane-devel] linux hotplug and usb.usermap

Marcel Pol mpol at gmx.net
Thu Feb 12 15:52:29 GMT 2004

Hello,
While switching from the linux scanner driver to libusb I found that there's
no easy way to generate an usb.usermap for linux hotplug. I composed one by
hand, from Mandrake's ldetect-lst and the scanner driver in linux-2.6.2.
This file can be installed as /usr/lib/hotplug/sane/usb.usermap, while the
usbscanner script can be installed in /etc/hotplug/usb. After running
update-usb.usermap they should get added to the main hotplug usb.usermap, so
upon connecting the scanner, it sets the file permissions to 660. Mandrake
uses the root:usb ownership for usb scanners, I saw that Debian uses
root:scanner, which shouldn't matter much.

Would it be possible to have these files in the Sane package, so they can be
updated in cvs by the backend maintainers?

Regards,
--
Marcel Pol