[sane-devel] Xsane locks system w/UMAX Astra 1200S

David Anderson dw.anderson at verizon.net
Sat Feb 21 10:40:31 GMT 2004

Gentoo Linux w/2.4.22 kernel.

XSane .91 installed.

When I run XSane, it detects the Umax Astra 1200S (Scsi) scanner.  When
I click 'Acquire Preview' or 'Scan', the scanner starts to go and then
the system hangs.  Mouse won't move, can't toggle numlock, and can't
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to kill X.

Any thoughts?  What's strange is this did work a few months ago.
Nothing has really changed as far as I know.  I.E.  No new devices have
been added to the system, and no settings were changed, at least that I
know of.

As far as I can guess, this is some sort of resource conflict.  I'm just
not sure how to go about troubleshooting.  Advice is welcome.

The SCSI card is Adaptec 2930.

cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: UMAX     Model: Astra 1200S      Rev: V3.1
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: CD-Writer+ 9200  Rev: 1.0e
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 04
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PIONEER  Model: DVD-ROM DVD-104F Rev: 2.02
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MATSHITA Model: DVD-RAM LF-D311  Rev: A127
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Thanks.

-Dave