[sane-devel] Problems with mustek_pp and releasing the parallel port

edg1@tiscali.be edg1@tiscali.be
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:54:29 +0100

Jim George wrote:
> Eddy,
>
> I have now run saned through gdb and done two scans.  The first appeared
> to complete successfully so I ran the second but the client timed out and
> eventually saned quit (as you will see from the attached).
>
> Thanks for your continued help,
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

I think it's normal that saned exits after one scan. Normally, it's
xinetd that restarts saned when a new request comes in.
To restart saned in gdb, you only have to enter "r" at the prompt
and then you can perform another scan.

What surprises me is that, now, saned doesn't hang at the end.
IIRC, when you started saned -d128 without gdb, it did hang.

I'm getting confused. Could you repeat the following tests, such
that I get a clear picture:

1) With xinetd

   - Make sure xinetd is running (/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart).
   - scanimage -d net:localhost:mustek_pp:Mustek-1200CP > test.pnm

   * Does scanimage hang?
   * If it hangs and you kill scanimage, is saned still running?
     (ps aux | grep saned)
   * If saned still runs, just kill it.

2) Without xinetd, no gdb

   - Make sure xinetd is stopped (/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd stop).
   - SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_PP=255 saned -d128
   - In another window:
       scanimage -d net:localhost:mustek_pp:Mustek-1200CP > test.pnm

   * Does scanimage hang?
   * Does saned exit? (It should).
   * If it hangs, please show the last few lines of debug output.

3) Without xinetd, in gdb

   - Make sure xinetd is stopped (/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd stop).
   - SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_PP=255 gdb saned
   - At the gdb prompt: r -d128
   - In another window:
       scanimage -d net:localhost:mustek_pp:Mustek-1200CP > test.pnm

   * Does scanimage hang?
   * Does saned exit (ie., do you get the gdb prompt back)?
   * If saned hangs, hit Ctrl-C in the gdb window and request a
     stack trace: bt
   * To restart saned: just enter "r" at the gdb prompt.

If a certain test doesn't give any problems, please repeat it a few
times to make sure it isn't just luck.

Best regards,

Eddy

Tiscali ADSL: 12 maanden aan  29,50 €/maand! Snel Internet, en voor iedereen.
http://reg.tiscali.be/default.asp?lg=nl