[sane-devel] Sane USB problem with HP ScanJet 5300C on FreeBSD-5.2-RC2/amd64

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:27:09 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:34:24PM +0100, Thomas Pasch wrote:
>  I'm trying to get my scanner to work on FreeBSD 5.2-RC2/amd64. I can "see"
>  the scanner with sane-find-scanner and usbdevs but scanimage seems to hang.
>
>  I'm using the sane-backends-1.0.12_3 and sane-frontends-1.0.11 and
>  libusb-0.1.7_1 from the package tree (but also tried ports and a newer
>  backends version as well).
>
>  See attached the DEBUG output of "scanimage -L". For me it looks like
>  the scanner is found and a request is written to it, but there is never an
>  anwer.

[...]
[avision] attach: sending INQUIRY
[avision] try to write cmd, count: 6.
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_write_bulk: trying to write 6 bytes
[sanei_usb] 0000: 12 00 00 00 60 00 ...............

I'm really no avision expert but that's the first command that's sent
to the scanner. While the uscanner driver can't cope with control
messages, bulk messages should be ok. So I'm a bit surprised that it
fails there.

>  Beside, how do I use libusb on 5.2? The man pages are saying something
>  about creating /dev/ugen* but as 5.2 uses devfs, you can't create it and it
>  isn't there.

At least on Linux, libusb only works if the scanner is not claimed by
a different driver, e.g. uscanner. So you must tell uscanner not to
detect your scanner. I don't know if that works without recompiling
without uscanner support. I guess ugen will getect the scanner once
uscnner doesn't and the device will show up.