[sane-devel] linux-2.6.1-smp,usb,oops,sane-backends-1.0.13,epson-1640

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:30:53 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:19:49PM +0100, Klaus Dittrich wrote:
> > Does using libusb instead work for you?

> as far as I know libusb in no more necessary with linunx-2.6
> so I have not installed it.

In fact it's more the other way round. Ther kernel scanner driver is
marked "obsolete" so it may go away anytime soon. So your only choice
is to use libusb in future.

Programs could also access USB devices directly by uing
/proc/bus/usb/*, but libusb is just more portable and does this low
level suff for us.

> I think it would things confuse even more.

If libusb worked, I would be sure that it's a bug in the kernel
scanner driver and not the kernel USB low level drivers.

> I have no probles to go with sane-backends-1.0.12 in the meantime.

Tha one works? I don't think that there are any USB realted changes
that may be able to cause oopses. Well, nothing should be able to
generate kernels oopses anyway.

> If you want test your changes I will do.

It will take some time until I've found the bug in the kernel. Don't
expect anything in the next 10 days.

> I have made script to simplify build and install,
> so a switch between versions is a matter of a few seconds.

The kernel or sane-backends? Isn't it just a make; make install for both
cases anyway?

If you want to test libusb, just make sure that it's available
(including its header files) when SANE is built.