[sane-devel] HP 5500c scanner support?

Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:51:53 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:20:35AM -0700, Stewart Midwinter wrote:
> Has anyone done any work on getting the HP 5500c scanner supported?
> I know it's not on the compatibility list, but...

I don't think that anyone is working on a driver for that device
currently.

> Seeing as how I have one, is there anything I could could do to help
> this along? run some tools? generate a log/debug file?

You could try to get log files with USB snoopy or sniffusb. However,
this only helps if you start to develop a driver yourself or if there
already is a driver for the chipset your scanner uses.

Writing a driver just by looking at the USB log file without having
access to such a scanner or at least a similar device is nearly
impossible. And even if it were possible, I guess nobody would have
the patience to do it.

So better start writing a driver yourself now :-)