[sane-devel] Re: How to link the Scan Button of CX3100 to a linux application?

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:10:35 -0500 (EST)

this also is an issue for any other scanners that have buttons, esp. the
adf models. unfortunately, i dont see a good way to handle multiple
scanners, since a frontend would have to load and unload multiple
backends many times per minute to monitor buttons...

what about a simple frontend that forks a separate child to load each
backend, and the child exit(1) if no scanners are found, or stays running
if there are. (might have to fork off child for each scanner not just
each backend)

then each child could monitor it's scanner by looking at the option
descriptor for each button (we would have to decide what to call them)
every couple seconds.

when a child decides a button is pressed, it would exec() to a program of
the user's choice.

problems with this idea include: what to do on a multi-user system, esp w/
regard to X windows, how do we decide which scanning frontend to run on
which button event for each scanner, and what to do about scanners with
lots of buttons and wheels and such.

allan