[sane-devel] Trust Imagery 9600

Ben Prescott benedict.prescott at virgin.net
Mon Jan 5 23:15:01 GMT 2004

I'm having problems getting this working.

I've searched the archive and there's nothing in there apart from the
announcement when the teco3 backend was released.

I also note that the man pages states that it is untested. I would
hypothesise that they've littered the output from /inquiry/ with
some extra spaces, which is why its failing.

FCC ID is, BTW, 'E8OVM3552'

The final test I did is as follows:

  # export SANE_DEBUG_TECO3=128
  # scanimage -d teco3:/dev/sg3

The output is attached in a plain text file; my email client is wrapping
it and making a mess.

The error returned from all the front ends is 'invalid argument', as in:

  scanimage: open of device teco3:/dev/sg3 failed: Invalid argument

I'm guessing the key lines in the debug are as follows:

  [teco3] device is "Aashima " "IMAGERY 9600SP  " "1.07" "TECO VM6552"
  [teco3] teco_identify_scanner: exit, device not supported
  [teco3] ERROR: attach_scanner: scanner-identification failed

Some background ...

I stripped out the backend config file (I'm running Suse 8.2; YAST has
filled it with other stuffas well) as per the man page's statement
about what it should contain, but I would guess that is irrelevant given
the way I ran it.

  # cat  /etc/sane.d/teco3.conf
  /dev/sg3

Versions:

  scanimage --version
  scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.11; backend version 1.0.11

  /usr/lib/sane/libsane-teco3.so.1.0.11

The SCSI adapter is an on-board Adaptec aic7895. Also on the same bus
are:

    Vendor: COMPAQ    Model: ST32171W          Rev: 0682
  blk: queue c1b67c18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    Vendor: SCANNER   Model:                   Rev: 2.00
    Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 01
  blk: queue c1b67618, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS    Rev: 1.00
    Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  blk: queue c1b67218, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)

The Trust unit registers as follows:

    Vendor: Aashima   Model: IMAGERY 9600SP    Rev: 1.07
    Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  blk: queue c1b33a18, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)

And the following is generated by the host adapter driver for this
device:

  <4>(scsi0:A:5:0): refuses synchronous negotiation. Using asynchronous

All other devices work correctly. The main reason why the other scanner
is there (Mustek A3 SP, works a treat in Linux, blue screens NT -
thankyou very much for SANE!!) is to do with the combination of cables
and terminators I've got.

Thankyou in advance for your help. If I/we can get it working, I'm happy
to put the thing through a test cycle so it can acquire 'tested' status.
Assuming anyone cares, of course!

regards, Ben