[sane-devel] Re: (sane-devel) info HP scanjet 4600 scanner

Adrian Perez Jorge adrianpj at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 8 11:13:08 GMT 2004

Hi Eddie,

   Some years ago I was in the same situation as you, but fortunatelly I
know about programming (more or less ;)  I had to develop hp4200 backend
and I could obtain some results without too much documentation available
(later I could get much more docs and then improve my results).  Some
guys here were able to do the same and develop a SANE backend for its
scanner.

   There are some standard steps to solve the situation:

   * find out what chipset is using your scanner:

       - open the scanner and read big-chip numbers, or
       - sometimes .inf files or file names from the window$ drivers
will help, or
       - using a sniffer like USBSnoopy
(http://www.wingmanteam.com/usbsnoopy/) in a window$ machine to look at
the protocol and somebody in the list could identify if (usbsnoopy log
files can be real big; don't send that stuff to the list; give some URL;
log for few seconds, not the entire page).

   * look for a backend that supports the chipset and use it

   * if there is no backend, then develop a new backend using chipset
manufacturer information, the log files from snoopy, imagination,
reverse-engeneering (disassembling window$ drivers; there are PE
disassemblers for linux available) and help from the list.

   That's my suggestion.  Cheers,

Adrian P.