[sane-devel] Re: OS X and umax 1220u

David Minor dave at dminor.com
Sun Jan 11 22:03:47 GMT 2004

some info may be repeated as I'm cross-posting to the backend devel
list.

On Jan 11, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 04:38:59PM -0600, David Minor wrote:
>> I commented out everything in dll.conf but umax1220u, set USB debug
>> output to 255 in addition to the umax1220u debug at 128 as before.  I
>> also disconnected all other USB devices to simplify matters.  I'm not
>> going to pretend to being able to interpret the output, but I will
>> attach for anyone to look over and see if the problem can be isolated.
>
> I'm not the author of that backend so I may be completely wrong...
>
> However, this time you get a completely different error. Openeing the
> scanner works, but starting the scan doesn't:
>
>> [umax1220u] sane_start
>> [umax1220u] UMAX_set_scan_parameters:
>> [umax1220u] color = 1
>> [umax1220u] xo    = 0, yo     = 0
>> [umax1220u] w     = 0, h      = 0
>> [umax1220u] xres  = 75, yres   = 75
>> [umax1220u] left  = 0, top    = 0
>> [umax1220u] right = 0, bottom = 0
>> scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>
> There is no tranfer to the scanner involved at all. Looks like a
> backend bug. It sets widths and height to 0 by default.
>
> Try again with scanimage but set width and height explicitely to e.g.
> 10 mm (see scanimage --help for details).

versions:
scanner: umax 1220u
system: OS X 10.3.2
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.13; backend version 1.0.13 (patched)
TWAIN SANE interface: 0.3
libusb: 0.1.8 beta 2004-01-05

$ scanimage -L
device `umax1220u:libusb:001:004' is a UMAX Astra 1220U flatbed scanner

$ scanimage -T
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument

$ scanimage -x 200 -y 200
I can successfully scan if I pass width/height params.  What a great
sound to hear this old dust collector chugging away!

Using TWAIN Acquire in Graphic Convertor still does not work.  No
feedback from it at all.  So it works, but not out of the box.  It
would be great if I could find a way to 1) get TWAIN working and 2) get
the backend automatically come up with the dimensions needed.

Thanks, Henning, for your consistent review and prompt reply on this
list.  Thanks to all the developers related to this process for keeping
at it.

I would be happy to continue to test/try things for the os x/umax 1220u
environment.

dm