[sane-devel] How to set permissions on my scasnner device files?

Scott Navarre SCOTTNAVARRE at peoplepc.com
Fri Jan 16 06:44:13 GMT 2004

Hi,

  I am setting up an Epson Perfection 1260/Photo scanner thru USB (uses the Plustek driver).  I have upgraded my Red Hat 8.0's SANE backend drivers to version 1.0.13.
  And now, I can see the scanner using both 'scanimage -L' and 'sane-find-scanner', as root only (I can also use 'xsane' as root only).  If I am not root, 'scanimage -L' finds nothing, and 'sane-find-scanners' finds a scanner on the USB but doesn't identify it.  The man page said something about not having the permissions of the device file set right if this happens.
  The thing is that when it is displayed, it only shows 'libusb:001:004' as the device name, not something in '/dev' (such as the '/dev/usbscanner0' or '/dev/sg0' as mentioned in the man page).  So how or where do I go to change the permissions???  Out of frustration, I did a 'chmod -R 777 /dev' but it didn't help...

  Here are my outputs of the 2 commands by root:

[root at tepeyac root]# scanimage -L
device `plustek:libusb:001:004' is a Epson Perfection 1260/Photo USB flatbed sca
nner
[root at tepeyac root]#  sane-find-scanner

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011d [EPSON Scanner], chip=L
M9832/3) at libusb:001:004
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
  # detected by this program.
[root at tepeyac root]#

  And here are my outputs of the same 2 commands by a non-root user:

[claudia at tepeyac claudia]$ scanimage -L

[claudia at tepeyac claudia]$ sane-find-scanner

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x011d, chip=LM983x?) at libusb:001:00
4
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
  # detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.
[claudia at tepeyac claudia]$

Thanks in advance,
  Scott Navarre