[sane-devel] re epson perfection 1200 problems libusb kernel 2.6.1-rc1

Jim Quigley jimquigley9 at eircom.net
Sat Jan 17 14:15:08 GMT 2004

Klaus Dittrich wrote:

> Same here.
> Is your machine smp  ?
> Do you have preemptive syscalls enabeld ?
> Do you use linuxthreads or nptl ?
>
> If you need a quick fix use the kernel scanner-driver of linux-2.6,
> _not_ libusb, and install backends-1.0.12.
> I tested backends-1.0.12 with libusb and it may damage the mechanics
> of your epson-scanner.
>
> --
> Klaus
>

> Hi Don't know what 'smp' or linuxthreads' 'nptl' are but I did compile
> the kernel with preemptive kernel.

I recompiled the kernel with ISA support enabled and i20 device support
but I still got errors like

scanimage -d epson:libusb:003:002 --test scanimage: scanning image of
size 424x584 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring gray frame, 1 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 53 bytes...
FAIL Error: Error during device I/O[epson] option: fatal error

I also had tried before loading scanner.o driver and that worked when I
used 'modprobe scanner' but I then had problems with epson printer usblp
and hotplug could not unload the module when closing down. I now have
printer compiled into the kernel not as a module and I did not choose
the scanner module which it says is obsolete.

LmCogs