[sane-devel] xscanimage font problem

Gene Stemple gene_s@vtc.net
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 19:24:58 -0700

Anybody,
    Good news is that scanning works (Microtek V310, Parallel
Port) via -d microtek2:/dev/sg1) but...
    bad news is that the dialog window opened by xscanimage
is (mostly) unreadable.  The button labels are all there but
most of the characters are "mangled" so that I have to guess
what they say from the few characters, and context, that are
right.
   The following characters are displayed OK:
     Uppercase-  BDEHKNPRSUZ
     Lowercase-  abefjprt
     Numerics-   147
   ...everything else is botched and unreadable.

   I presume I've got some mis-match between installed libs
although I tried to install all packages required for the
sane-frontend package (Debian).  Maybe somebody has seen
these symptoms before and can steer me to a solution.
   (Fonts, i.e. text, in Gimp 1.2 are O.K.)

Here are some relevant package versions as loaded:
    kernel           2.4.18
    sane-frontends   1.0.12
    xfree86          4.3.0-7
    libglib1.2       1.2.10-4
    libglib2.0-0     2.2.3-1
    libgtk1.2        1.2.10-11
    libgtk2.0-0      2.2.4-3
     (I really don't know what other libs might be important)

   I am thinking that presence of lib***1.2 and lib***2.0
might result in incorrect linking but "ldd xscanimage"
shows no errors, and, as I said, the application seems to
execute properly otherwise.

   TIA for any suggestions.
    ...Gene...