[sane-devel] discussion: Future of SANE-project

Michael Heiming michael@heiming.de
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:44:04 +0200

David N. Paules wrote:
> I subscribed to this developer list to monitor and hopefully contribute to getting my lame UMAX Astra 2100U working natively on Mac OS X. Apparently that will never happen. I then noticed lots of messages about Epsons, and other 'big name' scanner vendors. This got me to wonder. While the SANE project is a fascinating and honorable goal, is anyone selling the benefits of SANE to the scanner manufacturers?

The reason you'll read the name Epson pretty often might be, that they
make scanner/printer which do a good job for the money and even better,
they support Linux and SANE, the libs coming with iscan the scanner
package installs into /usr/lib/sane/.

The software (pips-sprx600_610-cups-2.6.2 & iscan-1.9.0) I downloaded to
get Epson Stylus Photo RX600 running, came with source and contains a
file "COPYING" where it says "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE".

So at least, it looks like Epson is already doing what you ask for.;)

Michael Heiming