[sane-devel] discussion: Future of SANE-project

Michael Heiming michael@heiming.de
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:13:15 +0200

Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Michael Heiming <michael@heiming.de> wrote:
>

>>The software (pips-sprx600_610-cups-2.6.2 & iscan-1.9.0) I downloaded
>>to get Epson Stylus Photo RX600 running, came with source and contains
>>a file "COPYING" where it says "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE".
>>
>>So at least, it looks like Epson is already doing what you ask for.;)
>

> Did they suddenly relicense the entire iscan code under GPL ? That'd
> be a really good news.
>
> Last time I had a look at the iscan software, the backend relied on 2
> binary libraries for some of the scanners. iscan itself was licensed
> under an open license specific to Epson, but it was quite a good
> license.

Yep, that was the pips-sprx600_610-cups-2.6.2 package which has the
GPL/LGPL and after a closer check, COPYING.KOWA, for one binary only
lib, just an additional look at the iscan src.rpm and it does contain a
non-free part, with the libs you mentioned.;(

That's what they probably mean with:

"Drivers for LinuxX - We provide the open source as much as possible."
[http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/index_e.html]

However, that's more then most other large hw maker provide, looking at
consumer related hw.;)

Michael Heiming