[sane-devel] Problems with SANE 1.0.13 and HP ScanJet 5300C

Thomas Rösch thomas.roesch@gmx.de
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:49:15 +0200

Hello Guys,

I installed Suse Linux 9.1 with SANE 1.0.13 two weeks ago and I am now trying
to get my scanner HP ScanJet 5300C to work, but unfortunately without any
success up to now.
I searched with Google and found many hints how to get a HP ScanJet 5300C to
work with SANE, but I was either too stupid to apply the hints or they did
not work at all. Because I am quite new in the Linux business, I probably do
not know where to look and which information you might need to help me, but I
try my best.

As I have said, I am using
Suse Linux 9.1 (kernel 2.6.5)
SANE 1.0.13

SANE-FIND-SCANNER as root:
found SCSI scanner "HP ScanJet 5300C 6.00" at /dev/sg0
  # Your SCSI scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE.
Try
  # scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0701) at libusb:003:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
by

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't
be
  # detected by this program.

SCANIMAGE -L as root:
device `avision:/dev/sg0' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300C flatbed scanner

SANE-FIND-SCANNER as user:
  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0701) at libusb:003:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
by

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't
be
  # detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

SCANIMAGE -L as user:

**************************************

Obviously, SCANIMAGE does only detect a SCSI scanner, but I connected my
scanner with USB and I even do not have a SCSI port in my PC. Also as a
normal user SCANIMAGE does not find any scanner which seems to be an
authorization problem.

But when I start e. g. XSANE (0.92) I receive the message "no devices
available" and the program closes again (it does not matter if I run it as
root or as normal user).

It seems to me, that SCANIMAGE does not really detect my scanner even if it
displays that it has found one (avision:/dev/sg0).

Does anyone know what I can do to force SCANIMAGE to detect my scanner? If you
need further information about my setup, please feel free to contact me and
tell me what information you need.

I would appreciate your help very much as I do not want to go back to Windows
only to get my scanner to work. ;-)

With best regards,
Thomas