[sane-devel] discussion: Future of SANE-project

David N. Paules dnp@quantumleap.us
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:45:50 -0400

Perhaps I misunderstood SANE's goals. From what I've seen, the backends =
do not dictate what the front-ends look like, only their capability. I =
don't understand why the bluster about multiple front-ends and more =
control over the gui. I was under the impression that one sane backend =
for a device will support multiple applications (front-ends) such as =
image capture, OCR, digital camera photo image acquisition, video =
acquisition from a digital camcorder, etc.

Besides, the SANE project is open for review/suggestions for =
enhancement, so why not get some feedback from scanner makers on what =
makes SANE a non-option for the future? What 'minimum requirements' are =
missing from the current architecture?

I can see your point about GPL'd backends. I agree it is easier to debug =
and extend them. But here's my point: Do you want to be the one always =
repairing and fixing scanners to work with SANE? Or do you want all the =
manufacturers to feel responsible for ensuring SANE compliance? If SANE =
is architected intelligently (i.e., backwards compliance with older =
backends), open source backends may not be necessary.

The manufacturers will currently see the SANE org as a free resource for =
reaching other markets they didn't officially target (i.e. the *nix =
markets). There is no urgency or requirement for them to support SANE =
just because the project is open source. In fact, that is the number one =
reason they will NOT be concerned. 'Those hackers at SANE-project.org =
will make my device compliant with their software. And I don't have to =
pay for it.'

But, if the ultimate goal of SANE is to supplant TWAIN as the standard =
for accessing image devices, shouldn't more effort be put on making SANE =
the future standard. This route will cause scanner makers and their =
support network to conciously choose to either support or not support =
the new standard. The SANE project's developers should then concentrate =
on enhancing the architecture, ensure backwards compatibility, create =
and market compliance badges, create plugins for Adobe products (like =
existing TWAIN plugins), etc. and not write new backend modules for each =
new device that comes on the market.

Perhaps working examples demonstrating how scanner makers can leverage =
their investment in TWAIN support while migrating to SANE might be =
useful for getting scanner makers to take notice of SANE. If an upgrade =
path was readily shown, techno-geeks at the manufacturer might prefer =
and sell the SANE idea to managers within the company.

Formal propoganda of industry heavyweight support (a consortium of =
scanner makers and front-end application development houses) on the =
web-site might make other makers feel the need to join in.

Without this kind of direction, I simply see SANE as being a =
hobbyist-level effort which is why I questioned the future of it. Thanks =
for listening and answering my questions.

Dave Paules
Quantum Leap Innovations