[sane-devel] scanner buttons

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:45:03 -0400 (EDT)

> > > i think we need a polling capability, though that would mean changes to
> > > front-ends....
> >
> > Yes I also think so! We should add this to the current stuff!
> > I also think we need some callback stuff for warmup notification.
>
> Hm - maybe callback stuff are too much changes for 1.x - maybe we
> should finally start working on SANE 2?

can we do callbacks via options? thinking about a gui front-end:

what about an 'led' that is red while the lamp is off, yellow when
warming, and green when it is hot. this could be done via a read-only
option that has a polling capability set. the front end could just loop
thru all the options with poll set, and change the interface. if you gave
that option a well-known name, like 'lamp-status' then the front-ends
could do majic things like wait for it to become ready before displaying
the scan button.

> In my last mail I already wrote that the HP 74xx have buttons to
> change the scan mode and copy count - this are also use cases where
> the "option changed" callbacks come handy.

can you think of a case where a call-back is required? (i want to avoid
them, if possible.)

allan