[sane-devel] scanner buttons

Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:05:13 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:09:45AM -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> ok, here's a crazy idea- why not just reload the entire option array every
> few seconds? the backend then gets to decide what order to reload them in
> (i.e. load the 'mode' switch first, then change all the mode params, then
> load the 'scan' button press).
>
> is this nuts?

Yes :-)

Don't forget that option values may be bigger than a view bytes. E.g.
gamma tables. And SANE also works over the net and constant polling of
all options seems rather useless for me. I think it's not that
complicated to mark the options whose values can change by hardware
(buttons, switches, lamp status, what else?)

You could use this auto-poll-every-option mode as a workaround as long
as SANE 2 is not ready. But I don't recommend to put it into any
"real" fontends, only special button programs.